Sunday, April 7

April 2nd - Day 32


While I was in Erwin, Tennessee I got a text from Michael telling us one of his buddy's father from home, Mr. Smith who helps maintain the AT, was going to hike in charcoal and burgers to an awesome shelter called Overmountain Shelter. Mr. Smith had already given us the best road side trail magic a couple days ago that included Mountain Dew, Snickers and other candy, and a cooler full of WHOPPERS. He showed up today with hamburgers right before a big climb and I was so happy, by far best trail magic I've received. It would be a 23.9 mile day to Overmountain but the hamburgers and the fact we heard it was a really cool shelter would keep me motivated. It was also the one month anniversary I have been hiking so I thought it was appropriate to have a big hiking day as a celebration. The day went by pretty slow. We had to do a long climb towards the end of the day that would take us over 6000 feet elevation, which meant that the snow and ice we thought was over was still very present. It was a long day, about 11 hours of hiking. I got to the shelter around 8:00 and there was a burger saved for me so I was excited for that. Overmountain Shelter is an old barn converted to an enormous shelter that could sleep around 50 (if we tried) but there were only about 30 people sleeping in there that night. It was the longest day I've done so far but it was well worth it. We were back in the big group that we had been in before and the shelter was very cool.



took this pic in celebration of one month on the AT


still haven't seen a bear

Overmountain Shelter, Tennessee


inside of Overmountain Shelter


another one of the inside, very cool

No comments: